Basically, these automobiles will be connected to its software and hardware with highly intensive computers. Which in effect, helps to control the overall automated control systems of the automobiles. These computers are known as E. C. U. – Electronic Control Units.
E.C.U. communicates with each other through multiple networks and Communication protocols. For example:-
- Controller Area Network – C. A. N. for Vehicle Communication Networks like connections amongst Brake System and Engine of the vehicle
- M. O. S. T – Media Oriented System Transport for infotainment systems such as the Modern Touch – Screen
- FlexRay for high-speed vehicle component communications such as active suspensions and cruise data synchronizations.
Infotainment systems are those systems that provide the user-friendly experience to the user while providing them both entertainment and the information. There are also other systems that are integrated into the vehicle’s Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and other automobile architectures.
Emergence of Research and Security:
The integration of these computers and automated systems for communication among the devices and its software functions makes security a vulnerable concept. From the past few years, our researchers and scientists are indulging themselves in solving and developing such automobile software and protection walls with respect to preventing the hack into Automobiles.
Many attempts and experiments were done on Gigantic Brands in order to check vulnerability and highly technically strong AI systems of their respective brands. Brands such as Fiat, Tesla, General Motors, and many more were on the list of getting hacked to their automobiles software and hardware systems like doors, engines, etc.
The immense number of computer software and hardware in automobiles for controlling and transferring communications amongst the devices and other systems made them so vulnerable that the building of cyber security for the automobile has become a necessity. This cyber security is not likely to be confused with the security of any automotive. But is originated to prevent cyber attacks and hold control on such malicious activities.
Hacking Points of Vehicle
Here are a few remote access approaches to access your vehicle
- Key fob: Cyber criminals can hack your key fob and open doors of your vehicle. The hacker will initially try catching the signal transmitted by the key fob by using a unique collector tool. Then receiver will transmit that signal to the car. This would eventually allow the criminal to open the car and even start.
- Wireless tire pressure: The advanced technology of cars uses wireless sensor technology called as Tire pressure monitoring system. Hackers can also hack this or even do mocking.
- In-car Wi-Fi: We all love to have all time internet connection no matter wherever we go. Transforming the vehicle into a Wi-Fi hotspot is probably a new trend. Wi-Fi gives an open invitation to hackers to get into your vehicle.
- In-car satnav: Vehicles that use GPS or telematics frameworks, record your driving details. Whenever hacked your data can be misused and find your locations where do you live, work, or take your children to class.
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth system in your car allows you to connect your mobile with vehicle. In this case, your vehicle can be hacked in 2 ways. Hackers can ask you to answer a quiz and visit a malicious site. Another way is by hacking phone’s MAC address by sniffing the Bluetooth traffic created when your vehicle is connected to Bluetooth.
- Multimedia Systems: Even the multimedia systems can be utilized to hack your vehicle.
Here are some steps instructions to reduce the risk of your car being hacked
- Most of the drivers use a dongle which connects to the on-board diagnostics port underneath the dashboard to keep track of driver’s habit and vehicle execution. In the event that you have one of these, you should expel it when the vehicle isn’t being driven.
- Enclosing keys by foil and store your keys in a metal cabinet. This will make difficult for programmers to catch the key signal to get to the vehicle, as the signal can’t be reached or blanked out totally.
- As Bluetooth or remote key fob can give passages to hackers disable any in-car remote services that you don’t require. Owner’s manuals will highlight the vehicle’s remote details with the goal that you can figure out which ones aren’t significant.
- Be careful about phishing tricks. Hackers might promise to offers, limits, and so forth through a cell phone application that clients accidentally download to benefit of the prize, just for it to be a trick in which the programmer accesses the casualty’s vehicle, which they could begin distantly.
Check the infographic below to know about the threats and other safety measure to safeguard your vehicle from cyber hacking.